Recent Latin America

I just bought a big box of mixtures that was all sorted by country into legal-sized envelopes.  I like mixtures, and sorting through them is one of my favorite parts of the hobby.  But there's also something routine about a box full of country envelopes.  It's usually the same cheap, general stuff. 


I was pleasantly surprised when these envelopes were stuffed with recent issues, even more so when I saw the best mixes were from Latin America.  In a typical pound of worldwide stamps, you might find a few hundred Latin America, and only a handful of those will be recent issues.  But here, the charity that put this together must have had multiple missions in those countries.  Imagine my surprise to find about 1000 stams from Venezuela from 1990 to 2020.  I see those so rarely, I actually had no idea the price ranges, or even which stamps were definitives.  I finally have a big enough sample to study up on the different issues and see how the market treats them.

While it is tempting to catalog them all and cherry pick the ones over $5, I think I'm just going to fill up stock pages of these lovely mixes and get them out the door.  Let the collector get the final pick.  I enjoy finding good mixes and having lots listed that are crazy amounts of stamps you normally don't see in those quantities.  Some of the envelopes are regular issues already sorted and ready for batches.  I can't see UNsorting them for any reason.  Maybe someone wants a few hundred of those flower definitives from Malaysia?  I know I never see more than 10 or 20 of them in a batch.  There might be varieties not listed in the US catalogs.

First off, I have enough of those colorful, fun Christmas seals from Mexico to fill about 10 stockpages.  Those should be worth $5 per page, and be an eye-catching treat for my Hipstamp listings page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Intro - a Stamp Life

Approaching Mixtures

Local Shows II: Country Folders