Angola classic animals

Here's a set that always brings back memories for me: Angola #362-381. 


Here is a mint set that I am listing for the Philatelic Library soon.  The first few stamps in this set were some of the most iconic and common animal topicals when I was growing up.  Almost every starter packet of animals had these included.  100 different animals?  You will probably find the 5c leopard or stately 10c antelope, or the 20c elephant ... or all three of them.  Almost every starter collection I have seen since then that had only a handful of stamps from Angola would have a few of these.

The graphics were really special for their time period: crisp and colorful and reasonably accurate portrayals of each animal.  Back then, every color plate had to be minutely aligned, and I don't recall having ever seen any color ink shifted or missing.

I have a special fondness for this set, and always set aside the full sets when I find them.  They list for $10 to $12 dollars used.  Affordable.  And they're cheaper and safer than an actual safari. ;-)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Germany Definitives: Historic Sites 1987-2004

Approaching Mixtures

Quick Intro - a Stamp Life